Keeping the home clean is essential right now, but it’s also important to clean hard surface flooring without damaging it. Hard surface flooring commonly used in the house is sheet vinyl flooring, luxury vinyl tile flooring (such as SPC and WPC), and hardwood flooring. As you focus on deep cleaning your home, please keep these important cleaning steps in mind for your floors.
Sheet Vinyl Flooring and LVT Cleaning Instructions:
Luxury vinyl plank and sheet vinyl flooring are highly durable and waterproof flooring options for the home. They are available in many gorgeous patterns and colors. Care and maintenance for these products are only a few steps.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- Use a damp mop as needed with water and a non-abrasive floor cleaner.
- Use a soft bristle broom to get rid of loose dirt
- Do not push, pull, or drag furniture across vinyl flooring.
- Heavy furniture or appliances that do not get moved often should have flat, non-staining floor protectors.
- Do not use a vacuum with a beater bar.
- For spot stain treatment, use a diluted bleach solution that is 1 part bleach and 10 parts water.
Engineered Hardwood Cleaning Instructions:
Engineered hardwood is a great flooring option for homeowners wanting strength and style.
- Vacuum or sweep your floor regularly.
- Use a soft-bristled attachment or broom.
- Do not use a vacuum with a beater bar or a power rotary brush head.
- Use protective window coverings to block UV rays and excessive heat from direct sunlight.
- Rearrange area rugs and furniture periodically to help the floor age evenly.
- Clean up spills immediately.
Solid Hardwood Cleaning Instructions:
Solid hardwood flooring is made from the finest domestic and exotic hardwoods. You need to limit solid hardwood flooring to rooms with controlled temperatures and humidity. Installation is only appropriate above grade and over approved wooden subfloors. If you do spill something on your solid hardwood flooring, then follow these instructions:
- Clean up the spill or spot immediately.
- Use ice to harden tough substances like wax or chewing gum.
- Gently and carefully scrape the hardened substance with a plastic scraper or even a credit card will work.
- Wipe the area clean with a soft, slightly damp cloth.
Easy Tips for Keeping Hard Surface Flooring Clean
- Keep mats at the front doors and back entrances to stop mud and debris from coming inside the house.
- Use a dust mop with a pivoting handle to effectively clean corners and inlets.
- Get a vacuum with a hose attachment instead of a rotating brush for cleaning hardwood floors.
- If you have hardwood stairs, then use a dust rag instead of a vacuum.
Disinfecting your Hard Surface Floors
After you’ve followed the above steps to clean your specific flooring option, then Carpet Express recommends following the “Household Cleaning Guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control” for up-to-date information on how to disinfect your home, including hard surfaces like hardwood and vinyl flooring. Please remember to always test EPA-approved disinfectants in an inconspicuous area before using.